Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A day without water...

First, let me tell you that the weather in Mozambique is the MOST unpredictable thing ever. Last week it was over 110, HOT, sunny, HOT, humid, HOT! Now it is in the 60's, cloudy, chilly, windy, chilly! So strange...but I'm not complaining! I love when it is chilly here. I sleep so well and don't have to worry ALL day about whether or not I have had enough water to drink.
Speaking of water...
I woke up this morning and what is the first thing we all do when we wake up?? Go to the bathroom, correct. So I went to the bathroom and flushed...it registered that the flush didn't sound normal (but things aren't always normal here). So, I went to wash my hands...turned on the sink...NO WATER. So did I think, oh guess we have no water today...nope. I tried to turn the shower on because of course what is my next move...shower time. NO WATER. So I get dressed and give up on the showering, hand washing (although I'm a nurse, I used hand sanitizer), and teeth brushing for the moment.
From then until now (only about 5 hours...and 2 1/2 of them I spent helping in the our filing room) let me just tell you all the silly things I've done...
~Tried to wash my breakfast dishes
~Gone to the bathroom and flushed
~Attempted to wash my hand 3 or 4 times
~Tried to fill my water bottle
~Attempted to wash my lunch dishes
...and probably many more silly things
What creatures of habit we are? I just expect water will come out of every faucet, shower, and toilet. Even when I know we have no water, I still expect it. I can't help but think about all the people who never have water here. They have to walk miles to a well or buy water from someone, and it still isn't safe to drink. Here we have running water that is safe to drink and (when we have gas) it is even hot for showers! I am so blessed.
Ok...I know you are wondering, why don't you have water today and is it working again? The answers are...I have no idea why we don't have water and neither does anyone else. Most questions like that aren't answerable here...you just have to be satisfied with the answer: I live in a developing nation, what can I expect. And no at the moment still no water. I know James (our AMAZING maintenance guy) has been working on it...I'm just praying we can flush our toilet soon!
That's all I have...just a day without water!

No comments:

Post a Comment