Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wilder!

Old friends...what can be better? Wilder and I have known each other for 7 years now, and it seems like just yesterday we were getting to know each other as he drove me home from youth group every Sunday night junior year in high school. Some times I miss those days. At the time they seemed complicated and now I look back and realize how simple they were. Either way old friends know our history. They know why we are the people we are today. They can anticipate our reactions to things, even complete our sentences. They can always read our faces from across a room. Just in being there all these years they have taught us to trust. They somehow make life make a bit more sense. Wilder is one of these people for me.
Here is us in high school with HOPE (I miss you Hope)!
So, why am I telling you this? I'm telling you about old friends because Wilder came here to Mozambique to spend 3 weeks with me. I wasn't quite sure how it would be. I knew it would be amazing, but I also knew it would be a transition for him and me. It would take our friendship to a new level, but it would give me the opportunity of fresh perspective and someone to live life with for a bit who already knows me. Everyone who comes here is hit by something...be it orphans, poverty, unfairness of life, the dichotomy...whatever it is, it hits them. And, it changes them forever. So I also was prepared to experience with Wilder what would hit him.
So here are all the things Wilder got to experience...
Much play time with my amazing babies!Many moments of joy on the playground!A night in the community on outreach (I'll tell you more about this in my next post).Many LONG African church services with kids clinging to you the whole time.Lots of time following me around as I dealt with whatever medical problems came up.Children's Day!Wearing his first capalana (something usually saved for Mozambican women but Wilder had to try his out making everyone laugh)!Fun times in the city.An adventure on the ferry.Getting to see the Indian Ocean!And what African adventure is complete without time on SAFARI!
Altogether it was amazing, for me and I hope for him. Here's what I wrote home to his family and friends after I saw him off at the airport...
Hello to All,
I know some of you don't know me, but I just wanted to send you an update and let you know Wilder is on his way back to the US. I brought him to the airport this morning after we had an amazing 2 days in Kruger National Park on safari. In 3 weeks, he experienced more than can be put in words, as I'm sure you know after reading his updates. He got to see the city where I live (Maputo), the hospital here (the largest and best teaching hospital in this country that is probably 50 years behind US standards), the community from which most of the children I serve come from, how difficult even the simplest of tasks are in a developing nation, the realities of life for those I live with, there was much play time with all the kids, he completed
many odd jobs all the missionaries have been trying to get finished for ages (including painting my new room!), and spent 2 days spotting African animals (elephants, monkeys, giraffes, zebras, rhinos, and warthogs just to name a few)!
I have absolutely loved having Wilder here with me. I'm so glad he got to experience my life, but more importantly I'm very excited to see the lasting impression this trip leaves on his heart and life. God is at work here in more ways than any of us realizes. He constantly fans the flames inside those who allow Him to. I hope these pictures can help you to see a glimpse into the last 3 weeks of Wilder's life (and have fun looking through the 100's of others Wilder
is bringing back with him). Be kind as he transitions back into your time zone and your life style PLEASE! It can be harder than we think. :) He was a bigger blessing to me in the last 3 weeks than I could tell you. It was priceless to gain new prespective from him and again be able to see why exactly the Lord has me here! But to watch him process his life after experiencing Mozambique was by far my favorite part. Of course there are never enough hugs or enough chats when you live on opposite sides of the globe but thanks for giving him to me for 3 weeks! It really was amazing! I'm going to miss you Wilder and know you are always welcome where I am!
Following the Call,
Meghann

Wilder...thanks for blessing me with your presence, hugs, chats, and love! And even more importantly thank you for loving on the kids I love and call my own. It means more than you know. I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment