Sunday, May 15, 2011

An Interesting Saturday Morning...

A few weeks ago I actually got to sleep in a Saturday morning...that is a miracle between work, 300 children, and the reality of living on a children's center.  It was 10:45 when I sleepily made breakfast...GLORIOUS!  Next thing I know I'm sitting on my bed sipping on coffee and eating some cereal and my roommate comes in and says...brace yourself..."Do you know how to kill a chicken?" (in Portuguese that is).  I respond with, "I do how, but I've never done it before."  I was referring to almost a year ago when I went on outreach into the community and the pastor we were with killed a chicken for our lunch.  I had watched carefully but wasn't sure I was brave enough to actually do the deed.  At this point I abandon my peaceful breakfast.  I start asking questions.
Who has a chicken?  My roommate's boyfriend who lives here on the center.  Why do they need us to kill it?  Apparently that's a girl's job here in Moz.  Where is it?  It will be at our house in a few minutes.
Want to hear my reaction at this point?  I run to my room.  Throw on some clothes.  And grab my camera.  This will need to be recorded!  Honestly, I think I have lived in Africa too long!
Then, I walk out on our back porch and find a CHICKEN!
And in perfect chicken fashion it proceeded to poo on our porch before it could be made into dinner...silly chicken!  It literally was scared ----less, if you know what I mean??  Hahahaha...I know, I'm hilarious!
(WARNING- This is where you should stop reading if you are going to be VERY upset or disgusted by hearing about how a chicken goes from pooing on my porch to dinner...just stop now!)
Anyway, a very brave boy (pictured here) who lives here on the center actually did the deed with that there knife.  I'm not convinced he had done it before because instead of securing the chicken as he went at it with a knife, he let it go.  We got a FULL demonstration of the saying "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off".  A very accurate saying if I do say so myself.
What came next you're asking yourself??  Well, pictures of the dead chicken of course.

Here's an example...a very dead chicken!
And after that came plucking the chicken.  If you ever need to pluck a bird, it's much easier after you have poured boiling water on it.  This is Clara, my roommate.  I did help her I promise!  I literally reeked of chicken for days...SERIOUSLY!
And here is the end result...basically a chicken that could have been sold in the store but wasn't because instead it showed up alive on my porch on an interesting Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment