Saturday, September 12, 2009

Packing for South Africa...

Ok...not really...I don't know what to pack and I had the urge to tell you all about my day. So here it goes:

So yesterday afternoon I was invited to a birthday party. It was to be hosted at one of the houses on the base and it was a surprise for one of the Moz nurses (Fernanda) who works in the clinic. I had no idea what I was getting into. I thought...food, cake, a little singing...back off to the baby house. Now I'm just sorry I didn't bring my camera because I don't have any pictures to show you of the next over 4 hours of my day.
But I showed up and helped with a little decorating...the ladies who were hosting it had already put up a HUGE tarp to cover their yard so it was shaded. They had tables out, table clothes, chairs, a gorgeous cake...the list is endless. I helped tie up balloons in the trees, a happy birthday sign, bring out the food. Seriously it was a HUGE to do. Then I discovered that they had sent Papa Steve (director here, who can speak Portuguese WAY better than me, but everyone kind of laughs at his elementary use of the language even though he has been here almost 10 years) to distract the honored guest in the clinic until we were ready. They told him to talk for 20 minutes and his response was...I can't speak Portuguese for 20 minutes! But he pulled it off!
Fernanda's children and granddaughter showed up also! We hid them away in the house...and called to ask Fernando to bring some paracetamol (acetaminophen in America) because one of the hosts "wasn't feeling well". She showed up to all of us, a great meal, cake, decorations...and was COMPLETELY surprised! Then we brought her children out as well! One of the other missionaries here, Sonya, gave a sermon of sorts...which Rubin (the only person who works in the clinic who speaks English!) so nicely translated for me. It was all about the strong women in the Bible and their love for their children. Sonya just wanted to honor Fernanda for all she has done here with our children as well as raising her own family! I was extremely touched by the love of all those who work in the clinic and their close bond with each other. They definitely are a family!
Next came gift giving...there is a song that everyone sings and claps to as each person picks up their gift and processes it to the honored guest. She was given many gorgeous things...I just wish I would have had anything to bring to her. Next time! Then we all sat down to eat. I'm still full right now (and its 9:30 at night) from all of that food at lunch time!
Next it was time for cake. There is a tradition here that the birthday girl or boy have to cut the cake...even little one year old Chelsia cut her cake! So the cake was cut...and I guess in the clinic the other Moz nurse loves to sing this song about who will get the first piece...and the second...and the (ok no, just the 1st and 2nd but still it was funny)! Somehow I ended up with this HUGE piece but managed to eat it all...it was great!
Then I thought maybe people would started wandering away...I definitely looked down at my watch and thought...I should probably go check on the babies (since Aurora was at the party too)...but nope...it was song and dance time. We all circled up and sang songs/I just clapped and everyone was picked to go dance in the middle. It was hilarious. I have to say this was my favorite part! Music is such a part of culture here and I love listening to their voices as they sing. They are filled with joy, thanksgiving, and hope...it sums up their way of life!
Other than this my favorite part must have been a serious of pictures taken. First all of the ladies lined up facing one direction with our front leg out...I felt like we were at prom or something...all of us laughing at once, the picture was snapped...I'd die for a copy! Then the men...they lined up as well, sucked in their guts, and showed us their muscles. It was fantastic! Last our 3 Moz nurses got together and struck some amazing pose each as the flash went off. These and many others were the moments I wish I had my camera. But, I couldn't help but think of all the funny jumping, posing, and goofy pictures I have of my last 4 years in college.

What similarities and then what differences these two cultures have?!

No comments:

Post a Comment