Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Back Safely from South Africa and Exhausted...

#1 Praise...I have a 6 month visa. This is unheard of! Seriously most US citizens get 3 month visas at the most. I now have a 6 month...I do have to leave the country every 30 days but that is the least of my worries!
Other than that, I am back from South Africa (a trip that was a change of pace from life at the center...but I would not say it was extremely relaxing). And today might have been one of the most tiring days I've had here at the center. It is election day in Mozambique...so ALL of our tias (the women and men who care for the children...bath them, feed them, change diapers, entertain them...) left to vote. Voting here is not like in the US, it's a LONG process. I helped out in the girl's area because the Baby House had enough coverage and Laura's dorm was doing ok as well. They wore me out...seriously! By about 9am I wasn't sure I had any hair left as they pulled out my pony tail, braided, pulled, tied up, and pulled out my hair. By the afternoon I had cleaned out all their ears, watched a movie with them, held many, play with many and had fun (despite exhaustion). Then late afternoon I was on in the Baby House as a nurse. We also had a dinner for all the missionaries tonight...fantastic Italian food...but I could barely hold my head up.
#2 Praise...Lucas (an adorable little boy from Laura's dorm) is back from the hospital! I feel very attached to this little one...mainly because Laura spends so much time with him and I know she isn't here at the moment. So I went over to check on him today. As of last Thursday (when he went to the hospital) he could not sit up on his on or hold his head up well. He has been diagnosed with microcephaly...although I don't think that's what's up with him. It's more likely he had cerebral malaria at some point and this is the result. Anyway he ended up on the malnutrition ward when he was admitted to the hospital. There plan was to put him on a "special diet" so he would get down to 8 kg (losing 1/3 of his body weight) before they started feeding him more to bring him back to a "normal" weight. Yes that's right...if anyone out there can give me an explanation for this I would greatly appreciate it! I plan on talking with our Moz doctors this week to try and get an explanation (although I certainly don't expect one that supports any medical research). Needless to say we got him out of the hospital as quickly as possible! As of today he is responding, smiling, and walking (wobbly...but still)! Praise God for his progress! Please continue to pray for little Lucas. Here's a picture of me and Lucas!
Ok...it's bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment