Sunday, October 4, 2009

Student becomes the Teacher...

It's been 6 and 1/2 weeks since I arrived. As of Wednesday we have a new nurse on base...Aleya. She is my new roommate and at the minute I have the job of training her up to be able to help us out a little bit in the Baby House. Her main responsibility is going to be to oversee the GATV program. This program is a clinic run by Doctors Without Borders that sees and manages all of our HIV+ kids. But she is also going to help out with some weekends and shifts in the Baby House. So I was the student 6 weeks ago...and now I'm the teacher. Who knew that I would have figured out which keys open which door on base, know the kids' names and even some of their stories/medical history, and be able to share what I've learned with another.
During my training time with Erin I remember her saying, "By the time I get back you'll be a pro at all this and even be training up Aleya as well." Honestly at the time I thought you've lost your mind. In 7 weeks when you get back I'll be glad if all the kids aren't dying and some of what you have asked me to do is complete. But instead most of the kids are just fine (despite a few minor infections) and I'm pretty sure all of what I've been asked to do is finished. Plus yesterday and today I spent some time teaching Aleya how we prepare and give out medications. We seem to think a little differently but I think she is going to be wonderful!
It's been an interesting journey...some days I've been in over my head, other days have been relaxing and fun, all days have been filled with joyous little ones and treasured God moments. I'm tired but happy. I'm overwhelmed but thirsty for God. I'm interested to see how things will be as we work out new schedule changes, and I figure out what it will be like when Erin returns. I'm excited to learn from her and grow in my medical knowledge and also to get the time to spend studying Portuguese and hopefully taking lessons. I cannot wait until I can communicate! Also, possibly I'll even have some time for exploring more of this country God's placed me in.
For now I'm a teacher...and a mom...and a nurse...and a respiratory therapist...and a nutritionist...and a physical therapist...and some days a doctor...but still a student and now a teacher. It's so interesting to see every day what God in store for me here...

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile really big! :)
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to feel the confidence of knowing enough to share with others ... pretty amazing all that you've learned in this short amount of time - and you thought you were tired of learning :)

    ReplyDelete