Saturday, October 31, 2009

My heart cries out...

Some things will never make sense to me.
A few weeks ago I walked up to the clinic to check in with Jannie (another nurse) who had been so graciously listening out for any issues in the Baby House for me while I was off base picking up Erin from the airport. As I walked in, she said, "Come here, tell me what you think." She was in the middle of milk program. Every Friday, community women and their babies come to the center to pick up formula powder (something that is too expensive for them to actually buy here). These women are unable to produce milk or for some reason (mainly HIV status) they should not be breast feeding their infants. Each Friday their babies get weighed, looked over by a nurse, and seen by a doctor if they need to be.
What she wanted me to see was a supposed 2 year old (that's what the mom said) who was tied up in a capaluna (the traditional way to carry children...what you saw me wearing in the picture with Wesley). He was skin and bones. Seriously worse than any child I have ever seen on a commercial for starving kids in Africa (you know the one's). His arms and legs were just the size of his poorly developed bones and he really seemed to have no real control of them. They stuck out of his torso like sticks. His mom explained to us that she has been told he has mental and physical development issues. Honestly, I just couldn't bear to look at him or consider his future.
Jannie called our director to see what she would have to say about this little one. But apparently this is an ongoing issue and not something we can step in and try to rectify. I was heart broken. One of the Moz doctors that works with us did take the mom and son to the hospital to be seen in the malnutrition clinic. That was a little hope for me until I found out how they treated little Lucas last week and what their plan was for him (if you haven't read my rant about it...they wanted him to lose 1/3 of his body weight, a kid that is already malnourished and not doing great!).
I feel lost and certainly all I can do is pray for this little boy who's name I don't even know, that God would have mercy on him in a broken world in a place where people feed their children rice water (the water left after boiling rice) because they have nothing else. But here I sit, where God has placed me, seeing things that don't make sense and begging Him for wisdom!

Happy Halloween to all and all those in Clemson this weekend...have a great Homecoming and cheer on the Tigers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment