Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Belated Happy Birthday!

So I have so pretty amazing friends here in Moz! On Friday I was asked by several if it was my birthday or told happy birthday. I found it strange but also just shrugged if off amongst the busyness as people getting mine and Jannie's (it was Wednesday) birthdays mixed up.
Well, I ate dinner with Aleya and Erin...amazing curry that Erin cooked for us!!! And then as usual (at least for the past few weeks) we headed over to Rebecca's house for some Grey's Anatomy watching! Instead of our normal quiet evening of tv shows all the women from the base were all there to surprise me for my birthday! Aleya so sweetly didn't want me to miss a birthday celebration just because I was in the US for my actual day!
We played the chocolate game! This is something I have been introduced to here...and it is AMAZING! Everyone playing rolls dice and whenever someone rolls doubles of any number then have to put on clothes (usually an apron, hat, mittens...), pick up the knife and fork, and cut off one small piece of the chocolate bar you are all trying to eat! But you only get to eat the chocolate if no one rolls doubles before you get a piece cut off...before someone else starts to rip the clothes off of you and steal your knife and fork. It's hilarious!
Then we had cake and brownies (thanks Sharon and Aleya), tea and coffee and just sat around and had some girl time! It was so fun despite my sickness. I honestly was surprised and blessed by the whole night!
And this is the amazing present everyone made for me...an adorable collage of notes!And a bit closer!
Yep...that's right...I have amazing friends! It was a happy and blessed belated birthday to me!

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been reading a lot about the use of child soldiers in Africa lately and it makes me think of you :) Hope you're doing well and not encountering any ridiculousness like the Lord's Resistance Army! (even though that's really in Uganda) :P

    Post an update soon, please!

    --Deanna

    PS- I'm officially a Master of History as of last Tuesday - Defended my thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEANNA! Congratulations on your thesis...that is awesome!!! What is next for you? Let me know how life is please! As for me the update is on the way as soon as my crazy internet will let me load pictures. And don't worry...no crazy Ugandan army here at the moment. I'm doing good just VERY busy (but I guess that's my normal life)! Know I miss you and am sorry we couldn't get together while I was home.
    Much Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome to be so celebrated (coming from one who LOVES to celebrate my own birthday). I think the chocolate game sounds very fun and we should play next summer at beach week. The notes are a wonderful gift that you can easily pack and keep with you in all your journeys of life. Not only are you getting a chance to meet such giving and wonderful people - they are getting a chance to know you!

    ReplyDelete