Sunday, March 7, 2010

Life's Question...(and Fernanda update)

Ok, we'll go with Fernanda first this time although I know you are all dying to read about "Life's Question". You'll just have to keep your curiosity in check while I tell you about my dear little one, Fernanda. I called her "our little peanut" to Aleya last night...I think it's appropriate! Ok, so we prayed hard for pee, and it came a few days ago. Then we prayed hard for poo, and it didn't come so soon. Aleya gave her suppositories...but with no success. Praise the Lord she finally had a dirty diaper last night...that's after over 96 hours of being here with us. Other than that, she is taking her feeds better...out of a cup like a big girl (and barely throwing up any!!!). She actually showed interest in what the other babies were doing today...I watched her turn her head and reach her arm out toward them! I don't think I can explain to you how big of a step that is. Usually she watches everyone without moving her head...only her eyes move following you across the room because moving her head takes too much energy. But today she was interested!!! She is still VERY weak and VERY sleepy...I wanted her to go from lying to sitting today on her own (just to see if she could)...she tried but couldn't. :( It made me sad, but it just means we have something to work toward. Today we also started her on some skin treatment because the skin on her legs is damaged from lack of blood supply due to her malnutrition. Hopefully we will see improvement in that as well over the next few days! Please keep praying for her. She is still not out of the woods yet and there are tons of long hard days of care left before she's a normal kid again, but I'm trusting we will get to see God's grace and love transform her! Also, be praying for our tias...they are amazing women who are doing there best for this little girl! And one other prayer note...Alberto (the other new baby in the Bercario) has a pretty yucky chest infection. We have given him a few nebulizer (breathing treatments) today, and he seems a bit better tonight but prayers are always helpful!

**And RATatouille...we have put out mouse poison. Some has disappeared...hopefully into his belly. She has eaten one of Aleya's avocados fresh from the market...much to our dismay. Last night he had great fun in the peanuts in our building being stored for our biweekly community food program. But poison has disappeared so maybe his play times will be short-lived...stay tuned!

Ok...back to "Life's Question". A very good friend of mine posed this question to me about himself while I was home. But, I feel like answering it for yourself is relevant and telling no matter where you are in life. If you have not seen the movie Marley and Me or read the book, you should stop reading now and go fix that problem. You have to have a reference point for this one. So here it goes, answer this...am I John Groger or Sebastian Tunney? Am I Owen Wilson or Eric Dane (Dr. McSteamy for all you Grey's fans out there)?
Think it through. It's a huge question (especially for guys but relevant for girls as well). Do I want to chase after a dream of seeing the world, making a different, succeeding in a career and be blessed by the freedom and adventure that comes along with it? Or, do I want to grow as a person in a great marriage with wonderful kids and be blessed with the ability to settle down somewhere?
There is not a right or a wrong answer here. And, I am not saying you have to do one and not the other. I'm just asking you to think of which you were made for. God made us all for something different. He has placed desires in our hearts and knows where we will end up. Are you sold out and ready to run after what God has for you even if it doesn't take you down the road you expected (or others expected of you)? Yep, I said it was life's question...that means just by definition it is not simple, easy, self-explanatory...but instead exciting, a bit stressful, thought provoking, and in the end maybe life-altering!!!
Well, I have no answer for you at this moment. Obviously you see where I am now. Seeing the world, living on the other side of the globe, trying to make a difference by sharing our Father's love, but where did I see myself...a Jennifer Grogran settled down, having babies (not quite yet of course), raising them, and loving a husband! We'll just have to see....

And I have some VERY VERY VERY exciting news to end with...my mom is coming to see me for 2 weeks in May!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :0 :) :0 :) Yep...I'M EXCITED!

2 comments:

  1. I have always been a fence sitter ... and I see myself doing so as I consider your question. No babies for us but definitely living my life loving my guy and doing my best to travel the world and locally to meet and learn from as many people as possible. The best part of a question like this is you get to continually answer it in many ways as you grow rather than choosing an answer now that lasts forever.

    I have tears of joy in my eyes from reading that your mom is coming to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I'm so excited she is coming too! And as for the question...you are so right. It can be answered over and over again throughout life!!!

    ReplyDelete