Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The All Clear!

So I just wanted to update everyone that things have been quiet here since Friday. There were rumors of rioting starting back up Monday and then again today...but all is quiet around the city and country. Last night the government announced they would subsidize the price of bread, water, and electricity...keeping it at previous prices. I'm not quite sure where this money is going to come from, but nonetheless all is peaceful and calm and for that I am thankful. Our tias and other Mozambican friends are still not sure how they are going to afford rice, vegetables, and oil but at least they will have bread! They may be walking hours to work because they can't afford chapas (public transportation), but at least they'll have electricity (something they don't have anyway).
I'm a bit sarcastic about it because its devastating. In a country where the average salary per month is $37 how are they meant to pay about $1 to get to and from work every day and instead of the normal $2 a jar for peanut butter now it's almost $3.50? Answer me that.
But the point is there is peace once again!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Megan, saw this on facebook home page.. good to hear an update even if it isn't all good. The news from Mozambique has saddened me, but I know God is sovereign, just not how.

    Praying! Miss that place, it was a blessing to spend a little time there.

    Sarah Fiske

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I spelled your name wrong :( Meghann! I realized as soon as I posted that!

    ReplyDelete