Tuesday, September 28, 2010

No Questions

Meet Shelton.  He lives in Laura's dorm and if we're allowed to have favorites he is certainly on my list!  He is adorable.  When he first arrived, about when I did last August, he didn't speak to anyone.  He just kept quiet, did what he was told, and stayed out of trouble.  Then one day he just decided talking was a great idea and his little adorable voice now fills the dorm quite regularly.  He melts my heart just saying my name...Mana Meghann.  If you've met him, I know you can remember just how fantastic his hugs are and how cute his little spirit is...he's unforgettable really!
So last Thursday I was already a bit emotional trying to cope with Pedro's death and all that stirred in me.  We were all at Thursday night church.  On Thursdays our church service is just for the kids, staff, and missionaries.  There is tons of praise and worship and then a message at the end.  Well at one point I carried a very sleepy little kid over to the side just to have a little time to myself to process and looked up to see...
Shelton with his eyes closed tight, hands outstretched to Lucas (a little boy in Laura's dorm as well who I wrote a lot about in December when he went through miraculous healing, now he isn't doing very well again and has been sick with a chest infection most recently).  Shelton was praying.  Not just a child's...thank you Lord for my friend prayer...he was really praying.  It was easy to see as he wiped tears from his eyes every few moments that God has done something in this little boy's life and is absolutely working through him.  When the music stopped he finally opened his eyes to join the rest of his peers who had played and danced their way through worship time.
The whole time I watched him and prayed for my own understanding and acceptance of circumstances, I couldn't help but feel peace.  Many many many many many days I question what we're doing here, what these kids are actually walking away with, will they grow up to know Jesus as their savior and God as their father, are we teaching them truth, will they make it in their culture after growing up with Westerners...these are all the questions you start to ask after you've seen a few kids fall on their faces after leaving here.  These are the things that keep you up at night as you think of those little souls you love and want the best for.
But as I stood their Thursday night I had NO QUESTIONS...when you watch a 6 year old pray fervently and honestly for a sick child what do you have left to question?

2 comments:

  1. oh how lovely Meghann! I too adore Shelton, was just telling Tracey about him and his grandmother tonight. Thanks for sharing this about him with others and I'm glad you were encouraged. He is Lucas' best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what it's all about and what makes it all worthwhile in the valleys we go through eh? It reminds us that we are making a difference! You all are on my mind throughout each day- special prayers going up for you!

    ReplyDelete