Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sweet Boy!

It's no secret that I LOVE children, babies and toddlers in particular.  Well, the last weekend I was working something absolutely sweet happened that I have been meaning to share with you since then.  I was in church on Sunday morning with all the babies.  There was a wedding that morning so our normal dance area was covered with chairs for the wedding party.  When things are out of the ordinary with the babies it is always a bit chaotic.  So, this time was no different.  Keeping the babies contained to a new area was almost impossible.  I spent most of our worship/dance time trying to coral everyone and make sure we didn't lose somebody.
I had noticed but not really registered that Ryan, who is 5 and lives in Tracey's dorm (a transition house that kids live in for a year after they leave the Baby House before they live in the other dorms), was holding Dionisio's hand quite tightly (if you remember he's the one that blamed me for biting him not long ago).  I kept on dancing and coralling without really paying attention to Dio or Ryan.  Ryan even kept coming over near me and looking up at me with puppy eyes.  I thought he just wanted to be held or Dio said he wanted me or who knows...I kept on dancing.
Then, I looked down and what is little 5 year old Ryan doing?  He put his hand on Dio's face and said to me..."He's hot".  Quietly, sweetly..."He's hot".  I looked down, touched Dio's head, and realized he had a raging fever.  39.1 C raging fever to be exact.  I took him off to the Baby House and after some ibuprofen he was back to his normal self.
But, these are the moments I realize children have such a sweet innocent nature.  These are the moments I realize why my whole life I've been drawn to them and dreamed of the day I will have my own precious little ones to love and care for.  These are the moments I realize that all those dreams of having my own children have turned into me having about 40, at least for now.  These are also the moments I know why I'm here, because who else would stoop down to the their level, have compassion, and listen to the little sweet, concerned voice who is saying, "He's hot" in the middle of church?  These are the moments I don't feel the need to question the Lord, but instead turn to Him in thanksgiving for sending me here.  These are the moments life makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment