Thursday, December 2, 2010

Crisis Averted...

This is one of my little friends from the Baby House.  She caused us a bit of a scare one of the last weekends I was on call before I left.  Tracey (one of the missionaries that works in the Baby House) called me out of our clinic room saying...one of the babies just vomited.  I whisked her up just in time to have her vomit a few more times.  Then all the sudden I looked down to see that her lips were swollen about 3x their normal size, obviously she was highly allergic to the candy she had just eaten.  Her lungs were still clear so I immediately gave her an oral dose of Benedryl.
In the midst of this I was also trying to give another little boy a nebulizer treatment for his asthma exacerbation.  Well after about 15 minutes our little friend had started wheezing and around her eyes were swelling as well.  Praise God for the adrenalin we had in the fridge and Dr. Mary (another missionary's mom) who was on base with us at the time.  I called her in and we gave our friend an IM injection.
She then got to spend the next 4 hours strapped to me as I took her vitals every 20 minutes or so.  It just so happened we had a missionary dinner that night...so I spent the dinner with a scared 2 year old strapped to me.  But this was another time I knew exactly why I do what I do.  I love to get to spend time with the children as if they are my own and when this time meshes with medical treatment I never walk away questioning what I do...I walk away thanking God for where He has placed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment