Thursday, December 31, 2009

Here's to filling in the holes...

First off...I would love your prayers for a yucky sickness that is going around the Bercario and Baby House at the moment. We are fighting against high fevers and a terrible chest infection. I'd love your prayers that the antibiotics will start working and that no one else will come down with this. And tha

Second, December has been busy...think about those days in college when you never sat still, had 4 classes, 3 meetings, a project to finish, and you were an RA (resident assistant), vice president of a sorority, and trying to study for nursing tests as well...ok maybe you can't think of all those things because that was me in college but December has been busy we'll just stick with that. So here's some of the things that happened...
***Laura has returned from the States!!! She is back and I am thankful. I love getting to hang out with her, and her Portuguese skills far outweigh mine making afternoon program and keeping the boys in line much simpler! For now Rebecca and I are still helping her out with the boys!***Jose took a little spill. He was diving for a ball in the Baby House (not something little kids should do when the floor in concrete and their indoor playground in wood). Well that ended in a large gash on his head. All the tias said was there is lots and lots and lots of blood. Well one lesson we all need to learn is...heads bleed a lot! So after a trip to a nearby clinic with Erin...This is Jose...a 3 year old with the largest stitches I have ever seen in my entire life. Erin said the needle they used was HUMONGOUS! Anyway, all is well now!
***We have said goodbye to Solange, one of our Brazilian nurses. Solange is headed to Matola (a suburb of Maputo) to work with another ministry there. I'm very excited for her and this new work! But, I have to say I'm already missing her. She was always a smiling, pleasant face around here. And this means I have taken on the responsibility of on call medical for the entire base (minus the bercario, baby house, and visitors...what I was doing before) every other week. There have only been a couple days where I was VERY overwhelmed with this. It's just one more adventure I pray God continues to prepare me for! Also, when our main clinic nurse leaves for a break, at least for a bit I will be taking on her responsibilities as well...this makes me quite nervous...but God has a plan!
Here is Solange, Jannie, Erin, Jaqueline, me, and Celia at her farewell cook out!
***December 23rd the Bocaria kids came for Christmas lunch! 100 of the Bocaria (city garbage dump) kids that come to Children's Church each week (something I have been to on and off since I arrived here) came to celebrate Christmas here at the center. They were fed a chicken lunch and got sodas!!! Some people from the US embassy and marines were here to pass out their Christmas presents and celebrate with us as well!
These little ones were all on the floor because they were too short to see up over the table and be able to eat with everyone else.
This is Pai...super excited about his new toys!Here's all the kids as we said goodbye...
Those kids can always teach me about the joy of the Lord. With nothing they are filled with smiles and always ready to play!
***Christmas Eve candle light service. I'm not sure who decided giving candles on paper plates to tons of kids was a brilliant idea...but it was a pretty service. The Christmas tree was up...And, the baby house kids preformed the Christmas story...(so so cute!)Then the candles were given out...All was well minus one slight wax accident on a little boy's head. After a quick hug and kiss he decided he was ok!
***Christmas day I spent with Laura's boys! We had a special breakfast for them...Laura baked them an egg casserole!
Then we gave out their dorm presents (these were conveniently left by Pia Natal the week before). There was much much excitement over skateboards, new soccer balls, a teeter totter, and more!
Samo was very excited about the new motor
Even the tias played with the new toys!
Next came mini-olympics for all the kids on base! Many games were played from pushing a marshmellow with solely your nose, three legged race, and much more!Last, a great dinner for all the missionaries...where I got to make South Carolina sweet potatoes...mom sent me the stuff!!!!
***Chris left us. :( Well at least for a bit. She is back home with friends and family cooling off and resting up! I'm not so excited about it...but I guess it has to happen and she has been here for over a year. Wishing her the best!!!
This is Aleya, Chris, me, and Erin on Chris's last night with us.

Ok...I think that fills you in on major events. I'm wishing you each a Happy New Year as I head off for a night of movies, crafts, and cooking out with all the kids! And there will be fireworks as well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment