Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas to all!

So this morning I sent out an update with many many many pictures from Christmas day here (December 18th). If you did not receive and would like to, just e-mail me! For now I want to share with you our missionary rendition of the 12 days of Christmas...
On the 1st day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
300 children up a tall tree!

We live here on the center with about 300 kids and trees are everywhere. At the moment it is mango season so any tree with mangoes fare game for climbing and picking.
On the 2nd day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
2 cold showers!

Cold showers are just a reality here. We do have gas hot water heaters but many many times we run out of gas and there is no more to buy around here. Also, at the moment with it being 120 daily cold showers are a must.
On the 3rd day of Christmas Zimpeto gave to me...
3 rice and beans!

Rice and beans is a main staple in our children's diet. I don't eat them that often, but many lunches and dinners here rice and beans are served.
On the 4th day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
4 gulping geckos!

I think our center must be the perfect habitat for geckos because they are EVERYWHERE. I'm talking that if you are in the shower with a geckos it's normal, if you are sitting in your room and one runs right up the wall next to you it is normal, if you leave your house to watch several scamper away it is normal...EVERYWHERE I tell you!
On the 5th day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
5 ma-rines!

This year the marines came to bring some gifts for the kids from the Bocaria (the city garbage dump) and to celebrate Christmas with them. It became a big joke because there are so many single girls on the base (with only 5 men...1 single...out of about 35 missionaries). To our disappointment only 2 marines showed up. :(
On the 6th day of Christmas Zimpeto gave to me...
6 phantom phone bills!

So our phone bill system on the center is basically a failure. Yep, that's right. It puts random phone calls on your bill and never prints out some bills for people whatsoever. Welcome to a developing country.
On the 7th day of Christmas Zimpeto gave to me...
7 burning fences!

Earlier this year one of the boys here decided to play with matches. The end result was part of a field and a long fence going up in flames along with the one of the houses on our base being completely filled with smoke. Hence the burning fences...
On the 8th day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
8 de-worming tablets!
So intestinal worms are just a reality here for our kids and sometimes for us. Every 3 months we de-worm everyone including our tias to help with the issue.
On the 9th day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
9 tons of sands!
So we basically live in sand dunes as I've said many times before. I think that explains that...
On the 10th day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
10 visitors vomiting!
We have about 1000 visitors who come to zimpeto every year and somehow they all seem to get ill. This was for all of us who do medical on call for visitors...
On the 11th day of Christmas Zimepto gave to me...
11 phone calls failing!
The main phone service we use is m-cel...at this point it connects you phone calls about 1 in every 15 and sends texts only about 1 in every 25 it seems (I'll admit that's slight exaggeration but not by much).
On the 12th day of Christmas Zimpeto gave to me...
12 mad missionaries!

This is referring to us losing our minds most days of the week. It happens with you live, church, work, and socialize with the same people and are surrounded by 300 children on a daily basis. It equals so crazy missionaries.

All of that to say...Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night! Sleep well tonight all and vow to stand outside in the cold for me for a few minutes tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment