Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cheetahs!

Leah (a good friend from nursing school) made it safe and sound to stay with me last Friday! She has been quite the trooper when it comes to "African experiences" as I have begun to loving call them. Saturday morning we took off for South Africa. Only after I spent over 3 hours waiting for our rental car...only to get a car with expired insurance. Anyway after we finally got on the road the South African strike caused us some difficulties. We waited at the border for over 4 hours to get stamped into South Africa. We were sun burnt, hot, and annoyed when finally after 3.5 hours a security guard came up to us and said...oh you have American passports...just go through that line over there. What he basically was saying was...are you stupid? You didn't have to stand in this line for 4 hours...you can go over there in that 10 minute line...SERIOUSLY! I just started laughing it was so ridiculous!
Anyway we finally got through the border and had a wonderful adventure in Kruger (the safari park)! We even made up our own rendition of "In the Jungle"...it went a little differently every time but sounded much like this...
In the Kruger, the mighty Kruger the lions play today. In the Kruger, the mighty Kruger the lions play right by the road...with their babies.
I hope you are laughing! Well, at one point a verse became the lion playing with is buddy the cheetah by the road. I said to Leah...at least say leopard...that's more realistic. I've never known anyone to see a cheetah and many people, me included, have spotted leopards. Well not 2 seconds after this came out of my mouth we drove up on a jumble of cars...what were they all looking at?? CHEETAHS...not just 1 cheetah...4 cheetahs!
AMAZING! It was AMAZING I tell you!
So Kruger was a HUGE success and then we headed into Nelspruit for the night. Our bed and breakfast was adorable, and Leah even let me have McDonald's for lunch...a taste of America! Then by the favor of God I got another visa...it took us 2 hours of waiting at the office for them to decide if they believed me that I had a plane ticket for November but finally they said yes. So I'm legally back in Mozambique and good to stay until November 23! (I know I have not explained my future plans and many of you are probably wondering since my original year here at the center was up last week...I promise to explain soon.)
So...that was my weekend away. I'm not so sure how relaxing it was, but it was fun and filled with laughs and I'm very thankful I had Leah to share it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment