Friday, August 6, 2010

It's been a bit busy!

Ok, so as I've said in the past if I haven't put up a blog post it's not because there has been nothing to write about...instead it is usually the opposite problem! Things have been a bit crazy around here as usual...lets see what I have to fill you in on?!
Jannie (one of our nurses) is off to Denmark and the States for a much needed rest. What does this mean for me? I have taken on several of her responsibilities. I am now in charge of the milk program our clinic has for community mothers. We see about 30 babies (ages birth to about a year) each week to weigh them, check on their health status, and give them milk formula. You all know how much I love babies...so this has been a quite fun addition to my weekly jobs. I also am covering the food box program for Jannie. Every two weeks we pack and give out about 75 food boxes to people in the community. There is a fantastic young man who lives on the center who packs the boxes and does most of the hard work...I'm just there to oversee and help out!
The Baby House has had mumps. Here in Moz they don't immunize anyone against mumps...why you might ask? I couldn't begin to explain it other than to say...it is usually not deadly. Anyway, we went through a week where about half the Baby House was either on antibiotics or ibuprofen (Advil) three times a day. The babies were crabby, the nurses tired, the tias wanted to pull their hair out...it was a tough time. But we have come through I believe...our last cases were about a week ago!
Manuel 2 (in the bercario/nursery) is doing AMAZING...he is over 8.5kg (18.7 pounds) now! He is eating everything in site and crying for more food after every meal. Health/infection wise he is doing great as well. He's been on antibiotics only once since returning from the hospital but only for a minor chest infection. He has seen a plastic surgeon about his head wound. We are continuing to change his dressing and disinfect it, and praise God skin is actually beginning to grow over his exposed scalp!!! I'm believing in faith that he won't need a skin graft! And the would on his bum is all but healed over as well! Absolutely amazing stuff!
As of yesterday we have a new little 2 year old girl in our care. She is in the hospital on the malnutrition ward for now. Sheri and I brought a tia in to care for her yesterday. We have not met her but I hope to soon. Her mother just recently passed away and her grandmother already has 7 children in her home including new twins. According to the tia who is with her she has burns all over her body and very swollen legs...I can only guess that she possibly has kwashiorkor malnutrition (it causes swollen legs and quite often skin issues as well) but honestly we don't know what all of her problems are. We know she is on IV antibiotics at the moment but that's about all I know. Please keep her in your prayers!
Other than all of that I've been to the hospital many times for chest x-rays and tests, the vaccine clinic, and several consults with our little ones. We do have an Australian doctor here with us for the next 2 months!!! Her name is Mary, and she is Emily's (another of the long term missionaries) mother! She has been so very helpful as we're certainly short-staffed in the medical world at the moment! I'm hopeful to get pictures up and blog about other fun adventures I've had soon...we've spent several days in the city just having fun and also welcomed a new missionary, Natalie to our crew!
I'll do my best to tell you all more stories soon...and if you receive my monthly updates they're a bit late due to all this busyness as well!

1 comment:

  1. HI Meghann! Keep the faith and try and find some rest when you can! I sure miss you! Especially as I am in Aiken as I write this! I hope that little girl improves quickly! Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete